Testosterone hormone is produced by testicles in men. It is responsible for development of male sexual characters like physical strength, muscle mass, body shape, body hair, deep voice, sexual function etc. Erectile dysfunction occurs when testosterone level is reduced. But this is not the only cause for erectile dysfunction.
Causes for low testosterone levels:
Age: The testosterone level in blood start reducing as age advances .Usually it starts between 35 to 45 years of age. Irrespective of age the andropause in men sets in as the testosterone level starts dipping.
Injury to testicles: Testicles are prone to injury as they are suspended outside the abdomen. Injury to both testicles can reduce testosterone production
Infection of testicles: If mumps infection during adolescence or early adult hood involves testicles it may affect testosterone production
Cancer treatments: The treatments for cancers like chemotherapy or radiation therapy may temporarily cause reduction of testosterone levels. But some times it may become permanent.
Diseases: Chronic kidney related diseases, Cirrhosis of liver, Sarcoidosis, chronic illness etc can also cause low testosterone levels .
Medications: Corticosteroid medications and medicines used to treat prostate cancer can cause lowered testosterone level.
Apart from the above mentioned reasons alcoholism, stress, insufficient exercise, obesity and a poor diet which is not rich in nutrients can also cause lowered testosterone levels.
Symptoms of lowered testosterone levels
- Erectile dysfunction
- Low sexual drive
- Fatigue or weakness
- Enlarged male breasts
- Decreased body hair
- Loss of muscle mass
- Loss of concentration.
- Mild anemia
Simple natural ways to increase testosterone level
- Increased weight or obesity leads to increased estrogen levels. Increased estrogen lowers testosterone level. Hence try to shed excess fat. Do not fast or skip meals to shred excess fat. Once again poor eating habit reduces testosterone level. Losing 2kgs of weight per month is always ideal.
- Do not take a diet which is very high in protein. Reduce carbohydrates, sugar and oil content in daily diet.
- Regular eating habit prevents frequent fluctuation of hormonal level.
- Exercise regularly.
- Perform sex frequently specially in morning. Frequent sex reduces weight and increases testosterone levels.
- Eat pea nuts, pea nut butter and olive oil.
- Reduce alcohol intake
- Relax and try to distress. Yoga and meditation help to reduce stress level.